Graffiti, Procrastination, and College Education

It's been a handful of days since I actually did a post. The month is ending soon and June will be here soon. You better enjoy every moment of the summer you can. They say time flies when you are having fun.  In this post, I will give a commentary or remarks on the articles that I shared this week.

As you can see from previous posts, I have read a  few good and interesting articles both from magazines and online news.  They are among the other random articles that I read through the week. I can't say that the article on the Buket guy was a random act of kindness, but random acts of graffiti. It is interesting how daring he marked his signature on public transportation? Also, he decided to do a little decoration on the overpass. I don't think I am brave enough to go that far with my artistic skills that I lack. I am impressed with this type of art work to an extent. After all he vandalized property and is now facing the consequences.  This could be a hobby for Buket or public property is his form of pen and paper.

In one of the articles that I found worth reading in the first place , plus it talked about college education,  comes from June's issue of the Atlantic Monthly. I only shared portion of the article, but I found it fascinating in the way that the professor who wrote the article shared with the readers that a college education is not for everyone. If it is not for everyone, then who is to have a college education? The writer talks about his perspective of teaching two English Composition courses. In my opinion, he talks about how one student lacks the requisite skills that are needed for the course.  It generally a good idea to go straight into college during after high school so that you will have a continuing education without really having the worry of forgetting certain concepts. I'm not bashing older adults who want to go back to school after years of graduating high school, but there is a point where you should want to go back before you reach that age of being too old of returning to college. Getting a degree is easy for most and sometimes hard for others. You can also start with a community college and transfer to a university. It's all about the choices that you make that will change the smallest detail in your life.

I didn't provide a link to the rest of the article on procrastination. Procrastination is not a good excuse to tell your boss or teacher if you have a report that is due or a big paper that you are putting off until the last minute. I think the article says it all. Though the entire article is not posted, it is a nice article to read and you could learn something from it.  Instead of putting the "to do" list on the back burner, you should actually complete the items that you have to do that is on the list. I even procrastinate during my first year of college. I still procrastinate  with the tasks I should be doing rather than just thinking about doing them. Thinking about doing a paper, house chore, or any other task is not going to get completed that way. We have to get off out lazy butt for a day and force ourselves to do something we intend to do, but we just are lazy! If you don't feel like doing anything it can be consider being lazy. Laziness and procrastination are two different things.  I don't have much else to say on this subject. The word speaks for itself.

On a personally note, I have been thinking about my changing my major. However, I wouldn't know what other major I would choose. I would mostly like stay an English major and have a minor or two. With this said, I have to keep these factors in mind as I start my second year this fall. College students, especially in their first two years, should find a major and stick with that one major since it will be difficult to change once they start the classes beyond the chosen degree.

4 comments:

  • Interesting articles below!

    Well dear if you want to change your major, you've just got to ask yourself what are you truly interested in and figure out how to get there. That's how I changed from pre-med to journalism. I love giving my opinion (haha), offering advice and encouragement, and it'll allow me to stay true to my Fashion self. Good luck!

  • I've thought about journalism as a minor, but still deciding as I enter my second year this Fall. I did read your blog and you have a nice job writing about fashion and everything in between.

  • Hey Kelvin,
    Thanks for your comment on my blog about my posting regarding my grandma's passing. I wish you luck in determining if being an English major is what you want; I was once in your shoes. Ultimately, I stuck with being an English major, for nothing else grabbed me, and I refused to go to college to study something that I didn't enjoy. From there, I went to graduate school, earned a M.A. and am teaching writing courses in the Illinois community college system -- and love it. If you have any questions that I could help answer, send them my way.
    -Jason

  • I don't think you could go wrong with your English major and a minor or two. That should translate well into any career field you chose. Enjoy your summer. I'm glad your keeping the blog going.