Reality: The State of Being True

Note: This post contains my ideas and opinions that have not been released to the general public.

But, if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah

Those are words to the song Where is the Love by the Black Eyed Peas. I think you should go take a look at the video because I think it is a song you should listen to and the images that are played throughout the video. I believe the video talks about the typical problems and issues that occur every day in the United States. This song is one of my favorite as well since I think it fits in with what goes on in my life and how people are mistreating each other whether within their own racial group or towards the others. I guess I can add education with this, too, because teachers and schooling is where children get influenced by their peers and they are typically what is right and what is wrong. It starts with the parents while they are raising their child. I mean being in college helps me to open up to the real world. The classes, the people, the overall experiences really effect students in several ways. But that’s a different story.

I feel the need to talk about this because I am always thinking about this but I don’t share it with others. Why? Because I know there are some people that may not be open to talking about culture, the racial state of the country and abroad. I do respect that and sometimes I don’t like talking about it depending on the approach of such issue. I think this is a song that helps express how I feel and my philosophical thinking. I guess sometimes I have to speak up and use my voice more often. Because I am in the background, being observant of everything that goes on in every day.

Yo', whatever happened to the values of humanity
Whatever happened to the fairness and equality
Instead of spreading love we're spreading animosity
Lack of understanding, leading lives away from unity


Look at all the negative things that have happened-big or small. Recently, during the Music Video Awards, Kanye gets on stage and really hijack Taylor’s Swift acceptance speech. And then Pres. Obama calls him a jackass. He deserves that and then the apology on the Late Night show… I didn’t really find that sincere. Or maybe it was but he was just a bit tipsy when he messed up other people chances of wining. I mean the song that was nominated was country and I like it myself, but that was down right wrong. I don’t think that was right. What was going through his mind?? Does that fact that someone from “the outside” won an award that usually won by many of other obvious artists? His social behaviors and interactions could be a cause of that incident. At least that just an assumption. Where is the love?

Culture affects what we do and and the person we are. Ethnics are characteristics of culture that are distinguish by a group itself. Sometimes we have to practice what we preach. If I feel like I don’t like what is going on, I should try to speak up and do something. Other times I feel that people should so the same thing as well. If you don’t like what the government is doing with health care, do something about it. But then, the contradiction comes to play, that I’m just an ordinary person. What will little old me do to help solve a big issue. Sometimes you have to work your way up and then deal with issues on the smaller scale. Think about this: Does race matter when determining life chances?

Song lyrics from Let Me Be Myself" by 3 Doors Down

I guess i just got lost being someone else,
I tried to kill the pain
But nothing ever helped
I left myself behind
Somewhere along the way
Hoping to come back around
and find myself some day

Tell me please
Would you one time,
Let Me Be Myself
So I can shine,
with my own light
Let Me Be Myself

Personally, sometimes I feel like I’m alone. I feel like I’m the only person that is not like many others (which is good) but I’m in a world of my own. But I’m still trying to figure out why I feel that way. Maybe because people I know and see every day may not have the same ideas and vision that I have and maybe I’m not like everyone else that do a lot of socializing. I’m trying to figure out myself every day. I guess that goes along with the rest of what this post is about, but then it may not. Not everyone will accept us for who we are. We all make all types of friends. That’s the best part of life. Making friends and hanging out with people that are really there whenever you need them and just people of common interest to talk to. Maybe because those are some close minded people that will not allow new ideas to be formed and allow them to look out the box. Sometimes all I ask is just listen and give chances to those who are capably of doing the job. Also, maybe we should let everyone allow themselves to shine. This world could be a lot better. Don’t you think? At least not better it will make progress and be different than it is now!

I remember when I went to California last summer and really got to experience life out of the city. And I will tell you that there’s so much outside of Memphis that some people may not even recognize. Some people have stayed in their city of origin for years and will not leave… not saying that should get up and move and it’s good they care about their city because we all should; especially the country as a whole. Think about this: Friends that you may have that are not native to the U.S., what do you think their reasons of moving here? What do you think about the international people talking about America and this is the best place to live. Again, this can be all good and yet they could also talk about Americans in a bad way. So there is a serious time to clean up everything that may not be what is best for the minority because the majority gets everything they want.

I made a note at the beginning of this post because what I have said in this post are things I think about through the week, but I never really told anyone nor had the urge to tell anyone. I guess it is not something I would say out of the blue unless I wanted to make conversation. Then, again I’m not too big to talk about said things unless it is needed. We aren’t mind readers so we can’t read what other people are thinking unless we ask them and then that will give an answer. Often times that can be the case and other times they choose not to share, but all in all we have to respect what they have to say because it is valuable. It can be useful because their thoughts can help reason out what may not be working and if anything needs changing to be restructured. If it is not broken, then don’t fix it. If you try, things may go wrong and get very messy.

4 comments: