I Want to Write a Book & Get it Published


"The way you define yourself as a writer is that you write every time you have a free minute. If you didn't behave that way you would never do anything." ~ John Irving

I have not done anything outside writing besides this blogging and collecting my grades each week. I want to get a book published. Why kind of book you ask? I'm not sure. I can write about anything, I can talk about life, I can write about aliens coming to take humans back to Mars. I can write about anything that sparks pen to paper. I have not forgotten about attending college to be a teacher. That is a career that will fit me. I look at it as teachers as with the job of helping the world out producing more professional students.

Last month, I wrote how thinking can cease creativity. Writers do need a bit of time to find something to write. Some posts before that I wrote on how reading, thinking, and writing is important. These skills are important to a writer. You train yourself to be a better writer when you read. Do you agree? Friday I wrote about the three writers that came to the University. They talked on the subject of how they write and how they came about writing on baseball, being in a country during the time of war, and how language evolved from the past to today.

I also posted a descriptive piece that I had written in my English class last semester. I had to think for bit to get very creative to write about an elderly lady's attic. The paragraph as it is called is a piece of fiction work. I have never been in an attic so dusty or antique. I had to be very detailed so that the reader can picture themselves actually walking around the attic.
I still have my portfolio of my essays from last semester. As I look over them, they are good essays and set the expectation of my level of writing skills. There are essays that I will keep and just look back upon. They could be added to the book I want to write and get published.

"Any man who keeps working is not a failure. He may not be a great writer, but if he applies the old-fashioned virtues of hard, constant labor, he'll eventually make some kind of career for himself as writer. " ~ Ray Bradbury

4 comments:

  • I just have to say, you have no idea how much I adore John Irving. If you haven’t yet, put him on your reading list (next to Bradbury!). I started reading his books when I was twelve, and that’s what made me want to write. I even got to see him read a couple of summers ago, he’s amazing.

  • I was looking on different websites about quotes on writing and I find the John Irving quote there. It has meaning and I had to get the Bradbury quote as well. It seems like you have a good list of book that you read.

  • I see you have already set the stage for your writing career. Now it just takes labor like Bradbury said. I hope to see you become a great writer. Are you going for any editorial internships or anything like that over the summers?

  • I like writing. I want to explore that field and the experience. With that said, I would not make it a full career since I'm studying to be an English teacher. To this end (a cliche throughout the semester), I want to be a teacher and have the enjoyment of writing. No internships or anything over the summer.

    I enjoy your questions and the conversation.