Outside Event 4: The River City Writers Series

This morning I sat in during the interview of three authors who all have books published. Each author, Christine Kenneally, Joshua Prager and Stacy Sullivan, said important facts and interesting things about their work toward the writing of their books. These are nonfiction writers; therefore, it is their experience or exploration of their interest. I did not stay the entire time, but I did get to hear important details on researching and how that relates to being a writer. It was like we were given their perspective on how they wrote their book and struggles with approaching how to continue the books. Here is what I grabbed from attending this River City Writers Series interview.

As each person talked and said something, I jotted some notes. I did not get the historical information, but I got something that will benefit me. One thing I would like to do in my lifetime is to get book published. I'm not sure what it will be about, but when that time I will know. One of the questions that were answered dealt with the research of the topics in order to write the book. Research may not be something we all enjoy, but it has to be done one way or another. If it is a subject we are fascinated about you will soon find piles and piles of notes and information on our desk pertaining to the chosen subject. This is something that the writers shared with the audience.

Josh Prager's editor was surprised at the amount of endnotes in the book "The Echoing Green" which is about baseball. I do agree with him since you have to provide evidence to tell your readers what you are talking about is true and where it can be found. With this said, it shows that you are not making anything up that is not your own opinion.

I recall Stacy Sullivan, if I'm correct, saying there's a time where we should stop researching and start writing. When we are overwhelmed in the collection of information that is needed for us to write an article or a story, we should stop and process what we found. This means that we should start reading to help us support what we want to say with proof. We have to read in order to write something. You have to reflect on what you have discovered. Personally, I have to sit down and read, read, and read in order to incorporate what I have research or quotes in essays that I may be writing.

Deadlines are important. I forget which writer mentioned the fact of meeting deadlines, but it deals with being a writer. It is important that I turn in all assignments when they are due whether in person or online. Although deadlines are not helpful since you may be limited to completing a task in two weeks. On the other hand most people can't get anything done unless they are told when the assignment is due. If you wait until the last minute, you will not have written anything productive. This is something important in being a writer.

Another concept that was mentioned is writing about something other than what you are passionate about. I find this to be true. I may not like writing about certain topics given, but I can do a good job at writing about education. In other words we should to write about different subjects. Go beyond the box and write about that is something that does not interest you. You should apply all your skills and abilities to further the development to be a writer. One of the writers said once you write articles and reports on different subjects you will find out what really interest you.

The writing process is very important. In class we are writing a first draft, then we are proofreading and peer reviewing within our groups, and then we edit, and make a final paper. Being able to break everything into chucks will help us all as writers. Taking one step at a time will help us find the mistakes and making sure we all apply everything in a story or article. Allowing others to be able to see what you are writing and get second hand opinions is a good idea. You can find what needs to be improved and what you should take out or keep. The use of the writing process was mentioned by one of the authors.

When Wendy told use we had to attend two of the River City Writers Series events, I really thought it was going to be boring or something that not of interest. Now that I have attended two interviews, it was worth the time in listening to what each author had to say. I can use what I learned as a writer in my paper that I'm working on for English and in other classes in the future. Everything that was said is helpful to work through the process of being a better writer.

0 comments: